Monday, April 16, 2012

Do I need my dvds?

The three boxes on the middle shelf hold our dvds.
At the moment, I own 105 dvds.  I never would have guessed I owned that many.  Does that seem like a lot to you?  It does to me, particularly since I watch one of my dvds about. . . oh, once in three months now.  Chris and I have three boxes that each hold 120 dvds.  (well, I have one box and Chris has two).  But here's the thing -- we don't really sit down and watch that many dvds.  Ok, so I watched Pride and Prejudice the other weekend, but I think that was the first time this winter that I watched one of my dvds.  So, why do I hold onto these?

I know if Chris and I were to move (and therefore downsize) I would have no problems shedding my dvds.  I should add that through iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, and network websites, there is little need for me to watch/keep my dvds.  Wow, I am totally talking myself into getting rid of these.  Cool!  Heh, heh, wonder what Chris will think? ;)

Here's my dvd box with my sentimental faves.
btw the movies I have are movies/TV shows that I have loved for years.  We're not talking the latest blockbuster, we're talking classics like The Parent Trap, The Princess Bride, and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.  Movies that remind me of times I spent with my family and friends, my real dad had the pleasure of watching The Parent Trap every weekend that I visited him, ha!, my step-dad enjoyed Bill and Ted with me, and I loved watching The Princess Bride with my brother.  Some of the other movies/tv shows, such as A Miracle of 34th Street and Jeeves & Wooster, were ones that I enjoyed watching with my mom.  I wonder if part of the reason I chose to buy and keep (hoard?) these movies is an attempt to hold on to those memories?  Perhaps the best way to remind myself that those memories will not disappear is to take the leap and release my grip.  Anyone want some dvds?

No comments:

Post a Comment