Wednesday, April 11, 2012

It's getting personal: how green am I?

So I am constantly trying to find ways to reduce my use of plastic, invest in our local economy, and create less pollution.  To this end, I want to share with you my routine for personal hygiene.  There is some definite improvement to be made.

Here are the things for which I feel guilty:

1.  I wear contact lenses most of the time.  Every time I open new lenses (about once a month), throw away old lenses, or recycle empty saline solution bottles, I wonder if it is necessary to wear contacts.  However, I recognize that it is through my own vanity that choose to wear them.  I cringe a little bit every time I show up to work (in the library) wearing glasses.  I am not that stereotypical eyeglass wearing, shushing, stern librarian.  Plus, I love wearing non-prescription sunglasses!

2.  I use an electric toothbrush and buy (prescription) toothpaste in a plastic container.  I feel bad about this, that I use a sonicare toothbrush and refuse to make my own toothpaste.  Oh, and I forgot to count the plastic containers that my dental floss comes in too!  But, I have horrid teeth.  I visit my dentist or periodontist once every 3 months.  I've had numerous oral surgeries to help keep my teeth in my mouth.  I am motivated by my realization that if I don't take care of my teeth I will lose them.  So, I feel less guilt about my oral hygiene products.

3.  I do use a blow dryer for my hair.  I have naturally curly frizzy hair, and blow dry my hair straight most mornings.  But, the shorter my hair, the less time using the dryer, so I plan on having shorter hair for a while.

Here are the things for which I am proud:

1.  I recently discovered the joy of making my own deodorant.  It is so easy and I can reuse our old deodorant containers, so I am really reducing our plastic consumption.  The recipe I use is based on the Passionate Homemaking recipe.  It really is a strong, and worth trying.

2.  I have also begun using shampoo bar soap that I purchase through Dress Green on Etsy.  The sweet orange shampoo bar has a heavenly smell and is very affordable.  Both Chris and I love this shampoo bar.  I have to admit, it did take 10 days for my incredibly greasy hair to become accustomed to it, but the knowledge that I am adding fewer chemicals into our watershed was well worth the embarrassment of a few days of greasy hair.  Good-bye Pantene, and good riddance!

3.  My facial soap is a goat milk soap that Chris and I purchase at our local farmers' market.  It is a great moisturizer and has a wonderful fragrance.  We like both the magnolia and the lavender soaps.

4.  I don't wear makeup, so I don't have to worry about adding chemicals such as formaldehyde to my skin.  I also don't dye my hair any more.  At 36 I haven't had any gray hairs, yet, but once I start getting them, this may change.  I don't know how I feel about gray in my hair.

I am always looking for ways I can improve my attempts to live a greener life.  Do you have any suggestions for how I can improve my personal care routine?  If so, I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment